Line Rate vs CPU utilization info requested

Donn Lasher dlasher at clearskynet.net
Wed Feb 27 17:33:14 UTC 2002

Does anyone have a table / web site / etc that talks about realized IP
throughput on various routers (3600 / 7100 / 7200, 5500, 6500, etc) versus
cpu load? IE even though you can put 4 x 100M ethernet cards in a 3640,
IMHO, you'd never see 400/800M aggregate throughput because the CPU would
be on its' knees begging long before that point.

I'm looking at a project that calls for a DS3, and the suggested router is
a 3640, and I'm trying to prove / document that's not a wise idea. What has
your experience been? Anecdotal or personal experience appreciated. Offline
replies work just as well.

Thanks in advance.

-donn