Satellite latency

Barb Dijker barb at netrack.net
Wed Feb 27 03:09:01 UTC 2002

I have a tachyon.net system.  600ms is typical with a good aim.
Higher latitudes are more error prone. They don't do tcp/ip over the
up/down link.  They effectively terminate the tcp/ip session on the
local lan (answering handshake and acks),  encapsulate, and
proxy for you on the other end. It makes a BIG difference in overall
performance for typical things like surfing and mail delivery.
Doesn't help much for interactive work.  Type ahead at
600ms is much better than 2x that.  vi is usable.

Our unit is available for demos and events.

DirecPC (Hughes) now has a business grade service called
DirecWay.  Haven't tried it.  One would expect it
would be better than the ones intended for residential only.
It claims to go to 1.5M down like Tachyon.

Barb Dijker
NeTrack