Cisco DS3 Questions..

Justin Streiner streiner at stargate.net
Thu Feb 21 23:58:42 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Christopher A. Woodfield wrote:

> There's no reason to use frame-relay encapsulation unless you're actually going
> through a frame network.
>
> For point-to-point circuits, from Cisco to Cisco, HDLC is the best choice, but
> it's proprietary (although Juniper has a Cisco HDLC mode). For
> anything else, I'd recommend PPP.

>From what I recall, once LCP is established, PPP and HDLC have about the
same amount of overhead.  I could be wrong.  PPP's finite-state machine is
substantially more complex than HDLC's to account for PPP multilink,
encryption, etc, but that would mostly be in the part of the machine that
gets executed prior to or as a part of establishing LCP.

The PPP vs HDLC topic flares up every once in awhile on comp.dcom.sys.cisco.
A Google search should turn up lots of reading on the subject.

jms