Cisco PPP DS-3 limitations - 42.9Mbpbs?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Feb 20 17:08:17 UTC 2002

>>> presumably this can be improved (a little) with increased interface
>>> buffers.. ? and possibly non fifo queuing eg custom queuing in favour of
>>> TCP rathen than UDP/ICMP etc which wont have the backoffs
>> and increasing the speed of light
> I can't find that option in my management client. What MIB is that OID
> described in?

i begin to suspect folk don't get it.  so i'll try once more.

you can turn on [x]red.  it will make a better choice of which packets
to drop.  but packets will still be dropped [0].

you can increase buffers blah blah blah.  but twenty tomatoes will still
not fit in a fifteen tomato can.

randy

---

[0] - corollary: qos mechanisims decide which packets to drop.  but isps
      are paid not to drop any packets.