zebra/ospf issue

Josh Gentry jgentry at swcp.com
Sun Feb 17 00:43:41 UTC 2002

> Folks,
>
> I'm experimenting with using Zebra running on a Debian box to do OSPF with
> the Ciscos on our network.  The zebra box has 2 interfaces, each in a
> different area.  This is the first time we have tried to impliment
> multiple areas on our network.  Right now, area 51 consists only of the
> zebra box and a Cisco 2500, and is just for testing.
>
> The zebra box is forming a full adjacency with the Cisco in area 51 with
> no problems.  It will not, however, become fully adjacent with the DR and
> BDR in area 0.  This seems to be preventing the distrobution of routes to
> the zebra box.

The adjacency issue is solved.  We were hoping to use the Debian Zebra
package because we like their package management so much, but they do tend
to be behind the development curve.  When we built Zebra from the current
source the adjacency issue just went away.

Next question.  Now that the adjacency issue is solved, the router that is
in both area 51 and area 0 is learning routes from area 0, and the other
router in area 51 is then learning those routes in turn.

If I add a route on the area 51 only router, however, that route shows up
on the router in both area 51 and area 0, but does not show up on the
other routers in area 0.  I am using all the redistrute commands I can
find.  I'm baffled at this point.  Any insight would be appreciated.

> Distrobution of routes in area 51 works fine.
>
> Here is my config, minus auth info.
>
> ! Zebra configuration saved from vty
> !   2002/02/02 16:35:11
> !
> hostname ospfd
> log file /var/log/zebra/ospfd.log
> service password-encryption
> !
> !
> interface lo
> !
> interface eth1
>  ip ospf authentication-key <password>
> !
> interface eth0
>  ip ospf message-digest-key <keyid> md5 <password>
>  ip ospf priority 5
>  ip ospf hello-interval 10
>  ip ospf dead-interval 40
>
> !