Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri Feb 8 18:00:09 UTC 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog at merit.edu [mailto:owner-nanog at merit.edu]On Behalf Of
Vadim Antonov
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2002 7:18 PM
To: nanog at merit.edu
Subject: Re: Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

[deleted, lots of good ideas and suggestions. I agree with essentially all
of it]

  Another area which needs improvement is making L2
	switches similarly aware of community TOS in IP packets.

---

Why would an L2 switch need or even want to be aware of TOS? Wouldn't this
be a Class 3/4..7 issue? If community TOS is supported, those guys that
would benefit from awareness of it in their internal network would address
this at a higher level switch I'd think.

I took your suggestion as a "best effort" below "normal" effort for
"community" TOS. I could be mistaken.

Deepak Jain
AiNET