NetFlow collector..

Peter Phaal Peter_Phaal at inmon.com
Wed Feb 6 20:25:00 UTC 2002

On Sun Feb 03 00:43:03 2002, Alex Rubenstein asked:
>I have been looking around for a while now, for a piece of software that
>can sit on a *nix box, and simply export netflows from a promiscuous mode
>media adapter.

>For instance; I've become used to using the ip flow-aggregation stuff
>(specificall for AS), as follows:

>ip flow-aggregation cache as
> export destination x.x.x.y 4444
> enabled

>Problem being tho, that on the 6509/MSFC2/PFC platform, to use this, you
>have to raise the traffic flow out of hardware-switched PFC to MSFC
>software switching/routing.

>What I'd like to do is take a unix box, with a gig-e or whatnot interface,
>mirror traffic to it, and let it generate the flow's to be collected by
>another machine.

>Anyone got some pointers, or insight? How are others doing AS flows?

InMon sFlow Probe <http://www.inmon.com/probes.htm> is a commercial product
that can generate full NetFlow v5 records. It uses iBGP to get AS
information from the router. Detailed AS-path data can be exported using
sFlow (RFC 3176) <http://www.sflow.org/>.

Peter