Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

Jared Mauch jared at puck.Nether.net
Sun Feb 3 04:57:48 UTC 2002

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 08:34:52PM -0500, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
> Of course, the dirty little not-so-secret is that for all the hacks
> that people have done over the years, inter-AS multicast that doesn't
> get hosed at the drop of a hat remains an elusive goal(1).  Thinking
> about doing multicast Usenet feeds as a way to cut down the bandwidth
> in and out of your ISP overlooks the fact that reliable transport for
> such things doesn't exist.  I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with
> this (uncharitable) assessment.

	I don't take any immediate offense but the number of
multicast connected sites is (slowly) going up.  Sprint customers
can toggle their (bgp) session from nlri unicast -> unicast multicast
in order to get mbgp routes and enable pim to do forwarding.  Obviously
one needs to chat with someone to get msdp going.

	The routers don't tend to have very multicast related bugs anymore,
it's all people who can't configure their routers.

	Of the 100+ sessions that are in sdr/sap these days I can typically
reach (at least) 65%+ of them without any problems.

	The problem is that the "tier 2" and whatnot providers have [mostly]
missed the boat on it and don't have people that are able to configure
their routers for mbgp.  (this is not to say all but most).

	There are a lot of resources for getting help in fixing and
deploying multicast these days.  It'd be nice to see more people turning it
on.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net