Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 22:40:36 UTC 2002

Quoting Stephen J. Wilcox (steve at opaltelecom.co.uk):

> For the peering point question I'm thinking some kind of multicast thing,
> internally I've no suggestions other than perhaps only exchanging message
> ids between peer servers, hence giving back a partial feed to the local
> box's external peers.
>
> Any thoughts?

Ask google about "drinking from the firehose USENET multicast news",
or have a look in ftp.uu.net:/networking/news/muse.

I've no idea what became of this project.  I first read the paper
when it came out and I was running/hacking on news servers.  I clearly
thought it interesting enough to keep a copy of it.

James