Reducing Usenet Bandwidth

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Sat Feb 2 21:41:13 UTC 2002

At 04:06 PM 2/2/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
>
> > Perhaps the same time the end-users (whose fees go towards paying for the
> > hardware, presumably) say "we don't want binaries anymore."
>
>It would be interesting to survey the customers and see:
>
>A) how many would care if we didn't provide usenet
>B) how many would care if we didn't carry any binaries
>C) how many have never heard of usenet
>
>I suspect A and B would be small, and C large.

We are a medium sized ISP with about 15,000 customers using connection
types from dialup to T3. We have found that at any given time, we have 5-10
users connected to our news server per hour. Assuming the average session
is at least 1-2 hours for most binaries users and the same people probably
use news each day... .0002% of our users actually use usenet. We have
outsourced news for about 2 years to Giganews and we have found it to be a
far more effective solution for our needs anyway.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey