OT: Interesting email I received

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Fri Feb 1 23:15:40 UTC 2002

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:37:04 -0500
> From: John Neiberger <neiby at ureach.com>
>

> Hmm...I'm still able to reach that site as of 3:30 Mountain
> time.  Perhaps his service hasn't been discontinued after all.
> We can only hope, though.  Surely Qwest won't continue to let
> this bonehead use their network.
>
> Perhaps this is actually a Qwest front company and they're
> trying to lure people into using their bulkmailing services.
> By doing this they can get a lot of the bulk mails to at least
> have the same set of source IP addresses making them easier to
> filter for the rest of us.  :-)  Sort of like a honey pot for
> idiots, because in this case they'd even be paying to use it.

Actually, I don't believe that it *is* a front for quest.  One of the
"CnS Systems, Inc" ...

Can anyone say "Cantor and ..."  The people that brought the art of
spam to its current unloved height?

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> ---- On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Joe Blanchard (jblanchard at wyse.com)
> wrote:
>
> > I just had to call that number on his web page
> > and ask if it was some sort of joke, The guy
> > there "Paul" didn't have any idea that his
> > services were disrupted, and he even seemed
> > excited at the prospect of doing some Bulk/Spam
> > Email for me.
> >
> > When I mentioned I couldn't get to his webpage
> > He seemed surprised. I ended the convo with
> > "You should really read the TOS with your ISP" <click>
> >
> > hahaha. I would love to hear the conversation between him
> > and Qwest Tech/Support.
> >
> > Cheers!
> > -Joe
Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.