Fwd: SlashDot: "Comcast Gunning for NAT Users"

Daniel Golding dgolding at sockeye.com
Fri Feb 1 15:45:59 UTC 2002

While most ISPs really don't care if folks use a VPN, there is a reason for
this inclusion in the T&C's. When a service provider is trying to sell 500
accounts to an enterprise, for VPN connectivity, they want to be able to
charge more. There are also support issues, which include the nightmarish
scenerio of a user calling Tech Support, wanting assistance setting up or
using their corporate VPN client. To say that this is beyond the skills of
the average Tech Support staffer, is an understatement. And, of course, it's
not his job to help a user do this.

The other interesting part of this is that the Comcast T&C's DON'T mention
NAT, and it looks like they don't have a "NAT POLICE" group, scouting for
violators on their network. I'm sure this is a crushing blow to the
tinfoil-hat wearing set on NANOG, but it shouldn't be a surprise, except to
those who spend their free time reading slashdot, and cursing the "forces of
corporate evil" who are looking to confiscate their linksys NAT boxes.

:)

- Daniel Golding