AOL & Cogent

Basil Kruglov basil at cifnet.com
Mon Dec 30 14:34:44 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 30, 2002 at 08:14:45AM -0500, Omachonu Ogali wrote:
> > For my not-so-bright customers I simply want traceroutes to look good when
> > they run one from Level3-homed site. Obviously a ~5-7 hops to us looks
> > really disturbing, try to explain to one of them that there is no problem.
>
> Then make a press release for your not so bright customers, and explain
> every single detail rather than asking a company to change their entire
> routing policy because you're too lazy to educate your customers on how
> traceroute shouldn't be used as a tool to gauge performance. And if you
> can't explain it to them, then you should step back and look at who you
> really have for customers. "Enough said."

Great. Thanks for the PR tip. I never intended them to change "their entire
routing policy" just for my laziness, if you insist ;) It's been going on
for 2 and 1/2+ weeks with no definitive date/solution/workaround on when
it's going to be fixed. Now I've made an attempt trying to show what could
be done; perhaps move some butts to actually get something done. Speaking of
my customers or perspective customers, I don't get to choose often who they
are. Maybe you do, I don't.

Happy New Year,
-Basil