AOL & Cogent

Basil Kruglov basil at cifnet.com
Mon Dec 30 11:37:10 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 28, 2002 at 09:45:21PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > 2. I think I asked this before, why wouldn't Cogent prepend
> > customer prefixes to Level3 or set BGP4 community for multihomed sites,
> > homed w/ Cogent + someone else.
>
> You got your answer to this before, what part wasn't clear? Cogent isn't
> congested in the inbound direction, only outbound to Level 3. The best
> they could do is lower their localpref for 3356, which I would surely hope
> they have done already.

I understand very well that there is no problem on the inbound of Cogent
from Level3.

For my not-so-bright customers I simply want traceroutes to look good when
they run one from Level3-homed site. Obviously a ~5-7 hops to us looks
really disturbing, try to explain to one of them that there is no problem.

Enough said.
-Basil