DC power versus AC power

David Lesher wb8foz at nrk.com
Mon Dec 30 01:11:46 UTC 2002

Unnamed Administration sources reported that Scott Granados said:

> Is 48V DC at the amps present normallyin switch rooms etc enough to cause
> electricucian?  I have seen bad things with wrenches dropped across
> batteries even 12 volt car batteries although in this case it was a large
> battery bank in a submarine but I was curious about the 48V sources in
> switch rooms.

Electrocution is but one way to die from too many columbs.
Internal burning is a big one.  Most people die, not from immediate
cardiac arrest, but rather from kidney/spleen/liver failure as
they try to remove the cooked you parts from your bloodstream,
and clog up. (First responder treatment is multiple saline inputs
to flush you out, and keep flushing you. This via a friend who was
"lit" and lived.)

The instantaneous short circuit current available from a CO-grade
battery string is nothing short of frightening. It will easily
turn a 18" crescent wrench bright orange and start spitting the
molten metal around within few seconds.

I'm surprised you're still around after a sub battery accident.
They're a grade up from most CO's in available current, I'd bet.

A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz at nrk.com