AOL & Cogent

David Diaz davediaz at smoton.net
Sat Dec 21 19:36:40 UTC 2002

That's actually an interesting thought.  From AOLs perspective it
mght be cheaper to buy transit from L3 then peering with so many
people especialy privately.  Ports do cost money.  From the business
perspective I think Bill Norton has shown that sometimes transit
might be more attractive then peering, depending on several factors.

I doubt L3 will increase their peering, they are in a very strict
mode right now.

One factor that was brought up privately by someone with cogent
experience is "perception is reality." Something I was fond of saying
at AS4006.  It seems a dangerous slippery slope, once you are on the
ropes and a big peer drops you, does it not set the stage for others
to quickly do so also?  As part of that I would also not quickly
discount the human factor.   Let's face it there are not that many
people that have been doing peering for awhile, it's a small friendly
group.

I do find there does seem to be a strange undercurrent flowing
against cogent.  A cogent thread seems to pop up every couple of
months, and in the space talking to people they seem to bear the
brunt of rough comments.   Wonder if that is because of the pricing
pressure they are bringing at >$30meg, or it its a different
perception of acheiving tier1 easily etc.... just thinking outloud.

David

--

David Diaz
dave at smoton.net [Email]