AOL & Cogent

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Fri Dec 20 22:09:17 UTC 2002

Further, if L3/Cogent are settlement-free and both parties are interested in
growing the size of their peering connections, wouldn't it make better sense
for Cogent all-around? If AOL is not interested in settlement-free peering
with them, then AOL can pay to get to them.

I seem to remember some old rule of thumb that basically said anyone who
peers with your upstream/transit provider is probably makes sense for you to
peer with (because you are otherwise paying to reach them).

I thought *THAT* was the point of peering vs transit for networks that are
not transit-free.

Deepak Jain
AiNET