Using link congestion to control routing updates

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Fri Dec 20 16:07:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 09:21:39AM -0600, Ejay Hire wrote:

> Finally, I found it.  If you diddle the K values for EIGRP, you can make
> it consider reliability, load, and delay statistics when populating a
> route to the route table.  The default behavior is bandwidth and delay.

Yeah, but there's a subtelty here.  EIGRP doesn't periodically
readvertise routes based on changed reliability/load/delay; if it has
to readvertise routes for some reason (link flapped, neighbor flapped,
etc), the new advertisement will consider the reliability/load/delay
at that time.  So it may or may not do what you want, depending on
what it is you really want it to do.

Routing based on load has historically been unpleasant.  If the load
changes, the routes change, the traffic patterns change, the load
changes.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

eric