Using link congestion to control routing updates

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Thu Dec 19 18:20:22 UTC 2002

--On Thursday, December 19, 2002 12:10 -0500 David Scott Olverson
<olverson at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> 	I was wondering if anyone was aware of a way to use the congestion
> of a network link to control the routing update.  For example if I have a
> very small link that gets congested, I may want the router to withhold a
> routing update until link congestion falls below a certain threshold like
> 60% of bandwidth.  Is anyone aware of anything like this available today
> or a technique that might accomplish something similar?  You can contact
> me off list if this topic isn't germane.

Route flap is bad.  Something like this would introduce a huge amount of
route flap, and would probably just end up causing congestion ossilation.

As far as I know there is nothing to do this in the 'common' routers
(cisco, Juniper).

Alec

Alec H. Peterson -- ahp at hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer