Cogent and Level3 Peering Issues

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Dec 18 22:30:40 UTC 2002

Of course, your right about what needs to be fixed! But situation with
cogent is such that I do not have that option. Their peering link with
level3 is congested because of all the traffic going to AOL and some of
traffic destined to me is going through same link the other way and
getting jammed as a sideeffect as well. I route aol-destined traffic from
my net to provider other then cogent - but how do I tell AOL and L3 (and
only them) that best path to me is through somebody else? Basil is right -
the best way to deal with that would be for cogent to provide special
community that would allow me to direct cogent to prepend several of their
ASN to level3 advertisements.