Alternative to NetFlow for Measuring Traffic flows

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Tue Dec 17 04:02:42 UTC 2002

On Monday, Dec 16, 2002, at 22:47 Canada/Eastern, Grant A. Kirkwood
wrote:

> On Monday 16 December 2002 07:37 pm, Joe Abley wrote:
>> If you are interested in traffic *to* a particular destination, surely
>> you could just tweak localpref on routes based on an as-path filter?
>
> And then quantify it how? Ie; useful Netflow-like "x Mbps to AS x, y
> Mbps to
> AS y" statistics?

I think the idea was to say "well, from the mrtg graph, the difference
between this circuit with all my _9327_ traffic and this circuit
without any _9327_ traffic, at what I might reasonably estimate their
peak time to be, looks to be about 2 megs or so".

It's a pretty crude measure, but it does have the advantage of
requiring no more than mrtg and a route-map to set up.

Joe