FW: /8s and filtering

Tim Thorne tim.thorne at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 11 21:00:24 UTC 2002

David Schwartz <davids at webmaster.com> wrote:

>	Not only would this increase the size of the global routing table, but this
>would actually decrease reliability for most basement multihomers. Basement
>multihomers tend to flap their routes more often than their upstreams. By not
>being inside a larger aggregate, these flaps are likely to result in more
>significant pockets of unreachability than they would be otherwise.

Have any of the major players ever tried cleaning up in the basement
multihoming market? It seems to me that a pair of well positioned
regional ISPs could easily share an aggregate, use it exclusively for
multihomers thus alleviating the strain on the global routing table
while giving their customers good visibility in the routing table.

Tim