Spam. Again.. -- and blocking net blocks?

Nigel Titley nigel at packetexchange.net
Tue Dec 10 15:29:30 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 15:00, Mark Segal wrote:

> Before the flame begins..
>
> I'm not sure when this started..
>
> Background:
> We have a downstream ISP, who hosts a website of questionable material.
> This customer (of our customer) used a third party to spam on their behalf..
> Which is a violation of our AUP.  (In fact we null0 the /32 in question).
>
> Problem:
> For some reason, spews has decided to now block one of our /19.. Ie no mail
> server in the /19 can send mail.
>
> Questions:
> 1) How do we smack some sense into spews?

Very difficult.... we had a similar problem. One bad customer and SPEWS
blackholes not only our corporate LAN but also my HOME address range,
and that of my home ISP, who was not even peripherally involved.

We just had to sit it out, as SPEWS is not accountable, or contactable.
Eventually the listing decayed, but it was a real problem for us while
it lasted.

> 2) Does anyone else see a HUGE problem with listing a /19 because there is
> one /32 of a spam advertised website?  When did this start happening?

Since SPEWS, with its complete lack of accountability, started being
used by respectable spam blocking software. Yes, its a massive problem.

Nigel