Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

Vadim Antonov avg at exigengroup.com
Tue Dec 10 13:00:32 UTC 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> I disagree. LDAP is a widespread technology and RPSL/IRRD/RADB is not. The
> registries can hire people with LDAP experience or send people on LDAP
> training courses. They can get advice and support from LDAP consultants.
> And if the registries tell their staff to learn LDAP, then the staff will
> be motivated to do it well since LDAP knowledge is a marketable skill.

Besides LDAP, there's also SOAP / XML thingie :)

All of that is pretty much trivial, and horribly overengineered
(admittedly, not as horribly as X.500 or whatever that kludge was called).

If a method of serializing tree-like data structures and performing
request-reply protocol requires consultants to support, one may safely
assume that there's something seriously wrong.  To my ears "LDAP expert"
sounds too much like "operator if-then-else expert".

In any case, there's a bunch of public-domain thingies around which do
LDAP or SOAP, so just pick any.

--vadim