Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

Alec H. Peterson ahp at hilander.com
Mon Dec 9 16:01:22 UTC 2002

--On Monday, December 9, 2002 15:55 +0000 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

> 1. Missing data. Your solution does not show the parts of 69/8 that ARIN
> has reserved or unallocated.

Are you telling me that people are really going to update their filters
every single time ARIN (or any other RIR) makes an allocation?

> 2. Referrals. Your solution provides no referral to another source for
> more detailed data. In another world, if I ask a .org server for
> www.ipv6.org it will "refer" me to the ipv6.org server who will "refer"
> me  to www.ip6.org. With LDAP we have a directory service that can issue
> such  referrals and have them automatically followed to provide as
> complete a  view as we desire.

The file has that data (which registry has which blocks).  A simple
search/replace can refer you to the next data source.

> 3. Not a crude hack. A UNIX shell script scraping data from a text file
> that was created as a human-readable document is not my idea of a
> directory service. We needed crude hacks like whois and RADB in the
> beginning when there were no other tools available and we had networks to
> build. But now we have lots of tools and technology available. Our
> companies are probably all spending money today on LDAP directories for
> internal use. It is becoming a standard IT technology and we should be
> leveraging it rather than continuing with crude hacks for old times sake.

So put it in a perl script and make it look pretty.  I'm just showing
people that the data _IS_ out there, at least on the /8 level.  If you want
to wrap something fancy around it, write your own HTTP libraries to grab it
yourself then go for it.

But the data is there, at least on the /8 level.

I would be very interested to hear how many people are generating filters
for each and every allocation the RIRs make.

Alec

Alec H. Peterson -- ahp at hilander.com
Chief Technology Officer
Catbird Networks, http://www.catbird.com