Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Dec 6 22:18:06 UTC 2002

In a message written on Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:44:15PM -0700, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> ARIN announced the fact that it received the 69/8 delegation on August 8th.
> ARIN received the delegation on August 6th.  ARIN made its first
> allocation/assignment (I don't know which it was, but that isn't important)
> out of that block on September 19th.
[snip]
> Do people have any suggestions for ARIN (and other RIRs) on how they can
> better dissemenate this information so that people will update their
> filters?

* One month from filtered to first use is too short.  Should be 6
  months, with multiple notices.  To back this up I can point to
  a number of places that stopped all global changes from before
  thanksgiving to after christmas.  (Not that I support such things.)

* Mailing nanog is nice, but ARIN probably should mail all the ARIN
  members, or particularly people with ASN's.  Far too many people
  view the nanog mailing list as entertainment, rather than
  operational necessity.

* Space that goes from "reserved" to "in use" should be test routed
  first.  Perhaps more of a job for ISI before they turn it over
  than ARIN.  This allows people to make sure their changes actually
  worked.

* Maintain an RADB object of reserved space, so those with automated
  tools can easily query it.

* Perhaps offer a BGP feed (multi-hop, a-la RBL) of reserved space to
  ARIN members.

If I were in charge it would be:

1) Notify all ARIN members 6 months in advance of the block being used.
   At the same time, announce the block from somewhere so people can
   check that they do in fact hear it as they open up their filters.

2) Notify people 3 months, 1 month, and 1 week before making the first
   allocation.

3) Drop the supernet test on the same day of the first allocation.

4) Listen to feedback from the first few people allocated space
   and if it still is not properly routed send out another notice
   to people and possibly delay additional allocations from the
   block for another month.