Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Fri Dec 6 21:27:06 UTC 2002

Well, to increase chance of reachability of blocks immediately after RIRs
start making assignments, RIRs should request new assignments from IANA
well ahead of exhaustion of currently-held blocks.

Possibly, considering that ARIN and RIPE run through 1 /8 a year, a
"spare" /8 should be allocated to them (and filter-making folks
dropping filtering).

Smaller registries (APNIC, LACNIC), under this proposal, would request a
/8 when their current /8 is 50% full.

This should reduce frequency of required filter updates to once a year or
less.

-alex