building a better route reflector

dalph at hush.com dalph at hush.com
Fri Aug 30 20:10:34 UTC 2002

> Why don't we dump IP routeing and have one big supernet on one big
> bridge peice of ethernet? Wouldn't life be simple!

It would still be difficult to tune traffic without my /24 annoucements
being heard.  It could work if we used global 802.1q tags instead of
ASN's, although it probably would help if we add a couple octets to the
VLAN ID.  The equivalent of as_path could be stored similar to IP RR,
moving processing overhead to a lower layer.

We would also need a global tag registry, which I would be happy to host
in our world-class NOC.  It's a great place to work, and stays toasty
warm even on cold winter days.

Dalph "Wiggum" Roncaster
principal, WiggumwerksGhostNetwork.com
div. of Mad Clue Consulting Group