Broadening the IPv6 discussion

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Aug 30 13:11:58 UTC 2002

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Petri Helenius wrote:
>
> > > What might happen is that ISPs start using IPv6 for their
> (as example) DSL
> > > services to work around addressing problems. But that is
> not a userdriven
> > > demand.
>
> > Maybe the p2p vendors should implement IPv6, it might also
> take a while
> > until RIAA finds them again :-)
>
> Then I hope they'll implement RFC 3041, otherwise the RIAA
> will go on a massive MAC address hunt...

Hmm a MAC... and then (sweet, dude) ?
I still don't get it why that would be a problem, simply because:
- one can change your IP by hand and/or automagically (RFC 3041 like you
mentioned)
- MAC's can be changed (ifconfig hwaddr... )

And then still.. they know that 'something/one' from a certain /48 did
'something'.
So what, if you pay at a store with your VISA or AMEX or simply your
bankcard.
That company holds at least your accountnumber, let's crossreference
that.

Same thing (IMHO ;) as the IP address thing, it pops up at several
places and they
can do many statistical stuff with it for behaviour research, buy styles
etc.
But then again, as long as one wants to be directly addressed you will
always be
'trackable' some how. Or are you changing bank-accountnumbers,
emailaddresses every 10 minutes?

Which pops again into the SPAM problem, where we'd (or at least me ;)
would rather be
capable of verifying who is sending stuff. If one then put that into a
log, one could
trace people too. And the bigger MX's could do that now too ofcourse...

Btw:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodt
echnol/winxppro/proddocs/sag_IP_v6_add_Utils.asp

ipv6 [-p] gpu UseAnonymousAddresses [yes|no|always|Counter]
that's how you turn that stupid feature off, it is annoying IMHO and
quite useless as
usually one is on the same /64 (or /48) so one is quite traceable
already.
Ofcourse if you got a laptop and carry it around the world with the same
EUI-64 one is
quite easily indentifyble, but then still, so what; they know you go to
cool places ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen