Broadening the IPv6 discussion

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Aug 29 21:49:43 UTC 2002

> From: "Petri Helenius" <pete at he.iki.fi>
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:32:38 +0300
> Sender: owner-nanog at merit.edu
>
> Remember that multicast never happened either.
> How much it would take to "sponsor" free content over multicast to
> get it deployed. Don´t know if this would be approvable for government
> subsidies though.

But multicast HAS happened, but mostly in the enterprise. Interdomain
multicast is still unusual outside the R&E community. R&E nets like
Abilene, vBNS, and ESnet make heavy use of interdomain multicast,
especially for the Access Grid (http://www.accessgrid.org).

While the Access Grid tends to be mostly R&E, there are a number of
commercial providers supporting it and interdomain multicast.

I do not believe that the Access Grid has yet been used for pr0n, but
is is largely government subsidized.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)