AT&T NYC

William Waites ww at styx.org
Thu Aug 29 21:30:30 UTC 2002

>>> "Ralph" == Ralph Doncaster <ralph at istop.com> writes:

    Ralph> I  think we're both  confused now.   Your example  seems to
    Ralph> have  nothing  to do  with  what  I'm  talking about.   I'm
    Ralph> currently using an iBGP mesh in my network, with no OSPF or
    Ralph> IS-IS.   In  other  words   I  have  internal  routers  not
    Ralph> connected  to   external  peers  that   are  running  iBGP.
    Ralph> Specifically I  have 2 routers  that are ruinning  EBGP and
    Ralph> iBGP, and 2  routers that are running iBGP  only.  Now that
    Ralph> I'm  adding a  5th router  to my  network,  I'm considering
    Ralph> running OSPF for my IGP.  I would still run iBGP between my
    Ralph> 2 peering routers, as well as EBGP to my peers.

Ralph, there is nothing wrong with doing that. Just make sure that you
don't have  any routers  without full tables  in your transit  path --
i.e. between  your  two  peering routers  -- and it   will be  fine as
long as  you don't  do anything wacky  like redistributing  BGP routes
into   OSPF. Be  careful with  redistributing in  the  other direction
also.

There's no  problem. It won't ruin  anything. It is  a pretty standard
setup.

Cheers,
-w