Broadening the IPv6 discussion

Stephen Sprunk ssprunk at cisco.com
Thu Aug 29 15:45:15 UTC 2002

Thus spake "Daniel Golding" <dgolding at yahoo.com>
> Hmm. I'm afraid that I have to disagree with just about everything you've
> said :) . I haven't seen any enterprise folks demanding v6 - If VOIP and
> PDA's (?) use up their IP addresses, they can easily ask for more. The more
> you use, the more you get. There is no shortage of v4 space.

Most enterprise folks use nowhere near their paltry allotment of IPv4 addresses
because 95% or more of their hosts are on RFC1918 space.  Even most companies
with multiple class B legacy allocations use RFC1918 internally and are just
holding the class B's so they can multihome effectively.

> Basically, major backbone networks will deploy v6 when it makes economic
> sense for them to do so. Right now, there is no demand and no revenue
> upside. I don't expect this to change in the near future.

Enterprise networks will not be the driver for ISPs to go to IPv6; NAT is too
entrenched.  Perhaps greater adoption of always-on broadband access will be the
necessary push.