Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org)

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Aug 29 03:20:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:48:39 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 6:13 PM -0700 2002/08/27, David Schwartz wrote:

>>    I'm afraid the technology to rapidly sift through large volumes of
>>information to search for specific areas of interest is widely available.

>    Really?  Where?  I'd like to know what they are and where.

	There are a few thousand people and more computers than you can shake a
stick at located at Fort Meade for just this purpose.

>>The problem comes when the recipient tries to validate your origin address
>>against your secure mail server.

>    Well, if you use TLSSMTP, I would think that would be resolved
>during the connection, by the authentication of the key.

	Who says the recipient's mail server has TLS capability? It's really the
same problem as what happens when joe at aol.com wants to send email with his
personal origin address from his work machine which has nothing to do with
the AOL network. Except it's a bit harder to solve because in the AOL case,
AOL could just offer some solution. The problem occurs when I have an
@aol.com email address but don't trust AOL to handle my outbound email.

	Again, though, it's reasonable to say, "If you don't trust AOL to handle
your outbound email, then don't use an @aol.com address. You have to trust
them for inbound anyway."

	DS