Standalone Stratum 1 NTP Server

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Aug 28 03:57:39 UTC 2002

Hmm... $2400 is still in the "pricey" range to be throwing out
bunches of these across a network in wide distribution.  (Pardon me
if some of you on the list snicker at my reluctance at the $2400
price - for some of us the "new, new Econcomy" is making things like
NTP Stratum 1 clocks a luxury that The Budgeters doesn't see as
necessary, since it's an invisible engineering issue.)

One would think that a vendor could come up with a 1u rackmount box
with a GPS and single-board computer (BSD or Linux-based) for ~$500
total cost.   Add 150% for profit and distribution costs, you're
still in the $1300 range, which is more reasonable.  I suppose my
oversimplification is the reason I'm not in the hardware business.
I'd be even happier with a PCI-bus card that I could put into an old
(reasonably fast) PC and a CD-ROM with an OpenBSD distribution that
automatically did the Right Thing.   There is a case to be made about
off-the-shelf PC hardware not being accurate enough to handle a true
Stratum-1 clock, and that is a valid point.  However, if I can get
within .5ms, I'm happy since most of my applications don't require
anything more accurate than that.  (Those of you timing T1's should
use the more expensive systems.)

I will go out on a limb and say that a reduction in the cost of
stratum-1 servers will increase their use across the Internet.  The
results of such an increase would be arguably visible, as the current
multi-layer timekeeping system seems to be more-or-less keeping
clocks correct to the point of usefulness, at least from a
layer-4-and-up standpoint.  However, accuracy and self-determination
for timing are probably things that most organizations would consider
"good" by self-evidence, and the lower the price the more possible
things become to implement.  Perhaps there are reasons that putting
stratum-1 clocks in many, many places is sub-optimal; I leave that
for others to illuminate.

I know that I would like to not rely on POP-external network
connections to keep my clock sources accurate, but these prices
(while very inexpensive, compared to other stratum-1 sources I have
seen) are still outside the "put-one-in-every-POP" price.

JT