Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org)

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Wed Aug 28 01:13:32 UTC 2002

>>Maybe I don't want my email sitting around in your MTA queue for
>>your sysadmins to read.

>    Given the volumes of mail that pass through these kinds of
>things, that's not likely to be a problem.  More likely to be a
>problem would be the fact that the mail might sit there for a week
>before it gets retried a second time.  That takes careful system
>engineering for load, making sure to retry old messages often enough,
>etc....

	I'm afraid the technology to rapidly sift through large volumes of
information to search for specific areas of interest is widely available. It
is totally reasonable to not want to send mail through your ISP's mail
servers and perhaps directly to a trusted mail distributor over an encrypted
link. Of course, you can easily use a port other than 25 for this purpose.
The problem comes when the recipient tries to validate your origin address
against your secure mail server.

	DS