Paul's Mailfrom (Was: IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org)

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Aug 27 21:51:43 UTC 2002

At 12:16 PM +0200 2002/08/27, Bruce Campbell wrote:

>  I understand the proposal to be based on the envelope sender, not the
>  sender in the body.  Hence, mailing lists work, because they are the
>  envelope sender, not the person who submitted the mail to the mailing
>  list.

	Read my previous comment about mailing lists that do not change
the envelope sender (e.g., mailing lists that are instead run as
simple aliases).

>  Pardon?  Are you saying that for a given entity (say, example.com), your
>  administrative procedures are such that you do not know all the machines
>  that can send email directly to that part of the Internet outside that
>  entity?

	Not if example.com is a vanity domain and is not allowed to
transmit mail directly to the outside world, or actively chooses to
use the relay services provided by their ISP.  You may know the entry
point, but it can be difficult to determine all the possible exit
points.

>  Even for an entity like aol.com, their outbound mail servers appear to be
>  a small(ish) set of circa 20 machines which can be listed appropriately by
>  AOL.

	I know.  I set those machines up.  They haven't really changed
much since I left in '97.  But try listing 20 different names as MXes
for a mail-from label.  Have you heard of this thing called "DNS
response truncation"?  Do you know the kinds of problems it causes
for many MTAs, even today?

>  Yes, entirely correct.  However, the bulk of the Internet mail today is
>  from one host to another host.  Knowledge of the path the mail takes, on
>  the SMTP level, is not needed by the mailer, unlike UUCP which required
>  the mailer to be aware of various routing topologies.

	It is if you have to know all the possible exit points for e-mail
that you may transmit.

>  The rest of your mail is an invitation to clean up the little bit of
>  forward and reverse domain space that is under your immediate control,
>  which is a Good Thing IMO.

	Indeed, it would be good to get this cleaned up.  But let's be
realistic.  When you have 256 total gTLDs and ccTLDs (plus the root
zone), served by 762 unique machines, and 413 of those machines are
open public/recursive nameservers in addition to their authoritative
duties, leaving everyone underneath 204 TLDs susceptible to attack
via cache poisoning at one or more servers for their TLD, you realize
that there are much more serious problems that have to be solved.