Standalone Stratum 1 NTP Server

Karsten W. Rohrbach karsten at rohrbach.de
Tue Aug 27 19:05:34 UTC 2002

Mike Leber(mleber at he.net)@2002.08.26 23:52:08 +0000:
> I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a low priced, off the
> shelf, complete (includes any necessary receivers), standalone (as in you
> just plug it in and connect ethernet), stratum 1 NTP server?

some years ago, i migrated all of my server infrastructure from NTP to
clockspeed and the taiclock protocol, which works a bit different to
NTP. every server keeps its own correction/drift values in a running
software PLL. my current update interval is to poll the main server(s)
every two weeks. after experiencing several problems with xntpd (like
folks sending random udp packets with spoofed ip addresses causing
several machines to drift up to two(!) hours (yes, the default
configurations are without any auth on most OS distributions), the
problem was solved by not depending on a steady feed of fresh clock
information. adjustment bases solely on a single correction value, which
runs in a tolerance window of about 25 to 30 attoseconds per week on
most intel based boards i got here.

http://cr.yp.to/clockspeed.html

i know that some folks will start to bash on dan, again, but his
approach to tackle the time synchronization problem appeared to solve
most/all of our operational problems of our time servers and clients. in
daily operations, clockspeed/taiclock clearly proved to be superior to
NTP, timed, et al. furthermore, the software is very simple to install
and maintain, with less security/stability risks due to less complexity
in code.

regards,
/k

--
> CS Students do it in the pool.
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44
My mail is GnuPG signed -- Unsigned ones are bogus -- http://www.gnupg.org/