IPv6 Interview Questions and critic

John Palmer nanog at adns.net
Tue Aug 27 14:52:01 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista at dot-god.com>
To: <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 09:41
Subject: IPv6 Interview Questions and critic

> Hi:
>
> I'm doing an article on IPv6 and am looking for comments - here is a
> portion on IPv6 which relates to the privacy issue ... any comments,
> crtics or interviews welcomed.
>
> -- snip
> As you know IPv6 is a suite of protocols for the network layer of the
> Internet which uses IPv4 gateways.  It's purpose is to expand address
> space.  At this time IPv6 comes prepackaged with all popular operating
> systems. This includes all flavours of unix , windows and Mac OS.

Windows? I don't think so, not yet anyways

> IPv6 is designed to solve many of the problems of the current version of
> IPv4 with regard to address depletion. The goal is to use IPv6 to expand
> the capabilities of the Internet to enable a variety of valuable
> peer-to-peer and mobile applications.  According to many industry pundits
> it is the future of networking.
>
> However IPv6 has many privacy issues. IPv6 address space uses an ID
> (indentifier) derived from your hardware or phone.

Hmm - if you mean that there will now be enough addresses to assign each
device its own IP6 Address - then yah. Other than that, how is it "derived"
from the hardware.

> Ipv6 empowers the business community by providing a means of identifying
> and tracking users.  Under Ipv6 users can be tracked and income
> demographics determined through hardware identification.
>
> Many members of the networking community have addressed concerns that the
> technology could result in potential abuse and <censored> warns users to
> think twice before they buy themselves a used Lap-Top computer and inherit
> all the prior surfing history of the previous user?

Hmm - again, I would be upset if I wasn't able to CHANGE the IP6 addy
because this would be true.