IPv6 Interview Questions and critic

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at opaltelecom.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 14:49:06 UTC 2002

ooh how exciting, you can tell who uses 3Com network cards :)

Most networks eg P2P will use /127 and not use MAC anyway so I cant see this
being a privacy on issue on anything but end devices and you can override if yuo
feel the need...

On end devices by default yes it uses mac, I cant see why this would be a real
security hole.. vulnerabilities exist in the OS/Apps not the hardware. For the
paranoid theres no reason why yuo cant manually assign the full IPv6 address
anyhow, the use of MACs is only there to provide convenience so users dont need
to configure their networks.

NMAP fingerprinting is of far more interest than what NIC vendor whitehouse.gov
uses (unless your doing market research on NIC cards I guess ;)

Steve