Traffic Threshold monitoring?

Art Houle houle at zeppo.acns.fsu.edu
Mon Aug 26 13:26:07 UTC 2002

Rob,

  we wrote a perl script that scans the mrtg automatically-generated web
pages and compares todays Average to yesterday's Average and then sends an
e-mail if the diferences is over 3x.  This is done every day.  If you
wanted you could do a similar script, checking every 5 minutes for the
'current in' verses a monthly 'average' and send email acordingly.
Scanning the text in the automatically created html page allows you to
create any custom crafted rules.

Art

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Rafi Sadowsky wrote:
> ## On 2002-08-25 23:54 -0700 Rob Mitzel typed:
>

> RM> Hi everyone,
> RM>
> RM> Quick question.  We're currently using MRTG to monitor traffic on a
> RM> number of cisco switches connected to various customers.  Now, this is
> RM> all great and everything, except there's no real way to monitor if a
> RM> customer's traffic goes completely out of whack (i.e. they start
> RM> hammering 20 mbps instead of 300kbps) without manually checking MRTG
> RM> every few minutes (and that'd be kinda time-consuming, you'd think.)  We
> RM> also show individual MRTG pages to our customer base via some handy mods
> RM> we made.
>
>  Try searching
> 	<http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/reference.html>
> for "THRESHOLD CHECKING" at which point (hopefully ;-) you can RTFM ..
>
> --
> 	Rafi

Art Houle     				e-mail:  houle at acns.fsu.edu.
Academic Computing & Network Services 	 Voice:  850-644-2591
Florida State University		   FAX:  850-644-8722