Measuring BGP routes

Frank Scalzo frank.scalzo at amerinex.net
Fri Aug 23 19:05:14 UTC 2002

Be cautious not to rely on a show ip bgp sum many IOS versions (I don't
remember specifically) have a bug that makes that number inaccurate.

Most of the tools I have seen have basically done a show ip bgp
collected the whole table and parsed it. I know I wrote a tool like that
when I was a wcom.

As for tracking update packets/sec vs prefixes updated/sec, one of the
juniper trace options I think flag update, gives a summary of how many
prefixes were updated.