How does this help?

Martin marty at supine.com
Fri Aug 23 07:00:32 UTC 2002

$author = "blitz" ;

> I read and re-read the decision of the ISP that was going to block RIAA
> access and setup a honeypot.
>
> Wouldn't legitimate users as well find themselves in that honeypot, and
> thus be blocked, achieving what the RIAA wanted in the first place, to
> disrupt GNUtella services?
>
> Somehow this doesn't make sense to me. Color me dumb.

by doing the blocking at the ISP level they remove the need for the RIAA to
DOS any P2P nodes on their network. it also makes the ISP accountable for
any block so a call to their helpdesk of "i can't share my legitimate mp3s"
can be resolved locally rather then having to respond "please contact
p2p-dos at riaa.org and don't hold your breath".

i don't think either solution is desirable but that's another story...

marty

--
I'm not here. This isn't happening.

"How to Disappear Completely" - Radiohead