mail delivery time on nanog-l (was Re: Die thread, DIE!)

Jim Popovitch jimpop at rocketship.com
Fri Aug 23 06:01:38 UTC 2002

my $.02...

IMHO, I know of no out-of-the-box MTA that defaults to handle mailinglist
loads.

I run a mailinglist with ~750 members and ~25 posts per day.  This server is
a 300Mhz Cobalt RaQ3i w/ 256Mb of memory on a 256Kbs pipe (also running
Apache w/ a fairly busy website: flagspot.net).  Email turns around in the
<5 minute time frame, and usually a heck of a lot quicker.  Attached is a
graph from yesterday showing the number of running Sendmail processes
(green), and the number of emails in mailq (blue).  Notice how there are
very few emails that make it into the mailq in time to be polled by MRTG,
most of these involve delivery issues with the remote mailserver
(delays,timeouts,etc.).  The trick to speedy turnaround is in the MTA
configuration.  This is chiefly achieved by using multiple queues, as well
as severely reducing the timeouts such that email being sent to
unreachable/overloaded mailhosts are quickly moved to the bottom of the
delivery stack.

-Jim P.