IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Fri Aug 23 00:33:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 7:20 PM -0500 2002/08/21, J.A. Terranson wrote:
>
> >  Presenting a computationally difficult problem to a connecting MTA
> >  moves the requirement for the CPU power to the sender while keeping
> >  the recipient site unfettered.  Let's face it, the spam problem is
> >  merely one of cost shifting from sender to reciever, and this
> >  proposal shifts the load back.  Any site that wishes to maintain
> >  the current system of email subsidies to the sender domain need
> >  only provide a computationally simple token.
>
> 	Now this is more plausible.  You'd still need something akin to a
> PKI to distribute the computationally simple tokens, and you'd need a
> way to easily revoke them.  But if this was implemented by default in
> the standard MTAs, you would go from hundreds or thousands of message
> deliveries per minute to five or more minutes per un-authenticated
> message delivery.
>
> 	This is something that might be worth discussing in the
> appropriate forums, such as the SMTP-related working groups of the
> IETF.

Thank You Brad.  I think it is aslo and elegant very cleasn solution
to a divisive social issue - the placing of the transmission
costs on firmaly of the SELLER, without binding up the innoced
receipient,

I have very serious deoubts that a sender will even offer
you the oppotunity if they get you Ba computationally difficult token.