Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

David Schwartz davids at webmaster.com
Thu Aug 22 18:59:26 UTC 2002

>    Generic question related to this:
>
>    Can ISP's arbitrarily refuse to give service to someone who tries
>    to sign up? i.e. if everyone refused to give Sony service could they
>    sue on some sort of discrimination/collusion charge?
>
>    Do ISP/ASP/*SP's HAVE to provide services if someone knocks on the
>    door requesting them or can they refuse for any reason what so ever?
>
>    Any armchair lawyers, who play one on TV, have the/an answer?
>
>    -Rob

	As far as I know, yes, any company can refuse to do business with any
individual or company with very few exceptions. This even applies to
monopolists, providing their monopoly is legally acquired and they haven't
entered into any contracts to the contrary. The only exceptions I know of
involve either true discrimination unrelated to the transaction (such as
racial discrimination) or life, health and safety issues.

	DS