Eat this RIAA (or, the war has begun?) - Why not all ISPs?

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Thu Aug 22 06:37:35 UTC 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, David U. wrote:

> Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> > Surprisingly enough, they didn't seem to care too much that their
> > website was offline fora  few days. You never can tell though.
>
> And that's exactly the point.  I hate to continue this OT thread but../
>
> The RIAA is a decoy.  Their sole purpose is to fight for the labels and take
> the bullets.  The RIAA has a budget in the tens of millions of dollars and
> when they need more they will get it.
>
> Blackholing the RIAA and hating them is pointless, that is what they are
> there for.  Blackholing them accomplishes nothing.
> If you want to cause change you need to go after the labels.  The labels are
> the member organizations which fund the RIAA.  It's the labels who need to
> be stopped, the RIAA is just their puppet and shield.

Agreed, however, I assume[d], possibly incorrectly having now read
your post, that when we are discussing "RIAA", we are in fact refering
to RIAA "proper" as well as all the component members.

The recording industry is a *business*, just like the networking
industry: if a given course of action leads to suboptimal financial
results, the actions will change (eventually ;-).

We need to doit, and doit now, to each and every member of RIAA -
no connectivity, no Internet advertising, no Internet revenue
stream.  Doit till they scream Uncle.

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin at mfn.org