IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

William Rockwood wjr at op.xo.com
Thu Aug 22 00:35:06 UTC 2002

All very interesting discussion, but discussing it here on NANOG is
probably about the worst idea ever -- No offense intended, I'm sure
you had only good intentions.  I will now go on to continue the
discussion. <grin>

As a sysadmin at a large ISP which provides DSL and dial (and hosting,
colo, bla bla bla) I have to admit that I am very interested in seeing
something like this happen (registration of mail servers, trustdb,
anything...) as I've had a few similar thoughts in the past, but figured
that something with such a global impact would be utterly unfeaseable
(and likely is, but still it is fun to dream.)

Spam definitely impacts services from time to time, even on the most
robust servers I have.  I catch customers spamming frequently (and of
course follow through with my abuse team and suspend their account and
kick them offline and clean their crap out of my queues, etc etc..) but
the absolute worst is all the open proxies being used (not 3rd party
mail relays, but hosts which are in fact not even mail servers at all,
merely running an insecure proxy (socks, squid, analogx, etc..))

Anyhow, I don't want to go too far off topic, or rant about spam, or
any of the other impolitic things folks do on this list, but I figured
I'd let you all know that there's a sysadmin at a DSL provider who
cares enough to show interest in this concept. :-)  I'd have no issue
with working on a system to allow customers to run their own mail
servers.  Then again, I'm not an engineer, or in marketing, or any
of the other decision-making groups, so that'd be my opinion only I'm
talking about there.

(note: I rarely have time to read this list, it was pure accident that
I switched to this mailbox and saw this thread, so if you wish to reply
to me, please include me in the cc:--Thanks:)

/wjr