IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Aug 21 23:40:54 UTC 2002

1. I want to create specification that would allow server operators
themselve to decide what kind of verification they want, if you do not
like callback, do not implement it.
2. Most estimate that up to 50% of mail system resources are used for
processing unwanted email, viruses, etc. The amount of processing time due
to new specification will be smaller then what has been gained from not
having to deal with unwanted emails as much.
3. The processing is server cpu resource, while sending email is bandwidth
used. I'll give up some more cpu resources to decrease used bandwidth.
4. For last years cpu speed & hardware have been increasing at 2x per 2
years and are more and more powerfull. Even if the initiative goes
through fairly fast (I projected2 years, that is already too optimistic),
it'll be another 4 years at least before its used, by that time servers
would be 8 times faster!