IETF SMTP Working Group Proposal at smtpng.org

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Wed Aug 21 23:38:53 UTC 2002

> 	Sure they can.  For sending e-mail, all you need is an IP
> address.  It would help if the reverse DNS is set up correctly, and
> that you claim this same name in the SMTP dialog, but this isn't
> required.

Yes, I know they can today.  My point is that with a registrar based
system, they cannot, because they cannot be registered as valid mail
servers.

> 	For receiving mail, all you need is a domain name, which has a
> set of advertised MXes.  Those MXes could point to mail servers
> operated by friends of yours who might use UUCP, or some private
> routing method to send your mail to whatever your current IP address
> is.  Those MXes could even point to your own host/domain names, and
> the mail would be deferred until such time as you re-connect with
> your dynamic DNS provider and update the IP addresses for these names.

Correct, but MX's (mail servers) have static assignments, unless you
change DNS every time.  Running MX's on dynamic IP's to receive mail
would be quite silly.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net

Exclusive: We're the only ones who have the documentation.