DNS entries for infrastructure equipment

Stephen Miller steve at smiller.org
Wed Aug 21 22:39:25 UTC 2002

another way is to use subdomains to separate device, geographic area,
and primary function so that a core router in Washington DC might look
like this:

core-1.wdc.infrastructure.net

this would be a subdomain as well as it would interfaces under it as
well and possibly sub-interfaces. if you're thinking that this could
make the FQDM be quite long...you're right...but one advantage is to be
able to do a "dig axfr" on the sub to see all of the devices in a
specific location such as "dig wdc.infrastructure.net axfr" would return
all of the devices in that geographic location. Then you could dig on a
specific device (as a subdomain) to see all of the interfaces configured
on that device. This can lead to lots of admin overhead but some good
scripts to automate it...it works. of course this is just my opinion.

steve